Sunday, November 8, 2009

Storytelling Exhibition ; Return to Oz




































My three pieces all surround the 1985 childrens film 'Return to Oz'. Its a dark sequel to The Wizard of Oz based on two books by L Frank Baum, 'Ozma of Oz' and 'The Marvelous Land of Oz'. It is set in the future where dorothy goes back to Oz. It has been destroyed and taken over & she has to save the people and their city. I love this film! It really reminds me of my childhood and its kind of scary but magical. I love designing with typography. Most of my work is typographical and when thinking of storytelling i thought of words & letters floating around & it would suit to use type as my medium.
Key to Oz; The key to oz is what dorothy finds on her farm and this summons her back to oz at the beginning of the story.
Emerald City; Is my version of the emerald city, a future version, a third version.
12; is the amount of times the wheelers (very scary humanoid dudes with wheels and wires hanging out of them) appear in the main chase scene with them and dorothy.

3 comments:

denise nestor said...

nice work michelle! (it is michelle right?) I didn't recognise these at first outside of their canvas frames. I have to watch 'Return to Oz', it sounds intriguing!

Jane O Sullivan said...

wonderful work micko
typography ....what a fantastic world to work from ....me ...I am a fanatic for old embroidery styles of lettering...always seeking them out ..thanks for sharing your fine work

Michelle said...

thanks girls! yes do watch it, it's brilliant. i actually have some embroidery i did when i was about 10 in school with text on it, i must try to dig it out. (have changed the micko-was meaning to!)